INTERNATIONAL MILESTONE RCC PROJECT AWARD
To recognize major achievements of dam technology and define milestone projects in this field, with the support of ICOLD, International Milestone Awards for RCC dams, have been set up. These milestone dam projects represent the main achievements and can be used as valuable reference for future development of dams. Recognizing International Milestone Dam Projects is an effective way to focus on, and raise awareness about, achievements in dam technology and promote best practice in the world.
Honorary president of ICOLD
|Dam name (Heigth)||Country|
|Longtan (216.5 m)||China|
|Miel I (188 m)||Colombia|
|Miyagese (156 m)||Japan|
|Olivenhein Dam (97.1 m)||USA|
|Ralco Dam (155 m)||Chile|
|Rialb (101 m)||Spain|
|Salto Caxias (67 m)||Brazil|
|Wolwedans (70 m)||South Africa|
The main basic eligibility criteria for an International Milestone RCC dam project must include:
- Technical innovation in design, construction, operation or other aspects
- Good performance after completion
- Attention during the construction and operation stages to environmental protection and social aspects
- Attention paid to raising awareness of technical achievements and advanced experience.
The Organizing Committee of the 6th Symposium on RCC Dams would like to invite experts and countries involved on the design or construction of this kind of dams to suggest some of these projects as International Milestone RCC dam projects.
Information to be included in the proposal (Maximum 6 pages: DIN-A4 size paper: 21 x 29.7 cm, single spacing, Times New Roman 10 point font size):
- Brief introduction of the project
- Main characteristics of the dam (location, dam height, dam volume, dam purpose, construction period, RCC placing rates, etc.)
- Innovative progress
- Major technical achievements
- Environmental aspects
- Main companies involved (Owner, Designer, Prime contractor, Main consultants…)
- Some illustrative pictures (format JPG only; 300 PPI; if possible, in separate files)
Below is the report sent by SPANCOLD to the organization of the 5th Symposium on RCC dams nominating Rialb Dam (Ebro river basin authority, 101 m high) as a possible International Milestone Project. This document can be used as Template.